Saturday 10 December 2011

Hida Takayama Ramen

Ambiance: Food Court

Seating/Wait time: Food Court

Dress Code: Casual

Crowd: Everybody


Meal: 



\
Spicy Pork Ramen with Vegetables
$9.50
 

Soy Sauce Ramen
$7.50

Personal Remarks:  2 hour free parking in Downtown! This is the only good thing going for this restaurant.  I have never been to Hida, Japan, so I don't know how ramen in that region should taste like.  I can only comment from my perspective and taste, which is a Canadian taste.


There is a story about their broth and how there's and why it is so rich in flavor.  I agree that you can immediately taste the broth's rich flavor.  However, I didn't notice much difference from this place and the one on Denman and Robson.  


I felt that the noodles itself were overly salty.  I don't know if it's supposed to taste like that but for Canadian taste, it was too salty.  I thought the soy sauce may have contributed to that, but it's actually the noodles, this was upsetting for me.


For the value, there wasn't a lot of noodles, and for the same price or a bit more, your dollar and cents are able to get you more elsewhere.  The disappointing thing is, I don't eat a lot and I wasn't very hungry when I came here, but even after finishing the ramen and soup, my stomach still felt a bit empty.  


As for the spicy pork; it is more expensive, so you get an option for more noodles at the same price.  Marketing wise, the extra noodle cost is already included into the price, so it would be dumb not to say yes to more noodles when you're already paying for it.  

The broth for this again did not disappoint.  The amount of vegetables wasn't as generous as he described for the extra $1.50.  So, I wouldn't advise on the vegetables.


Overall, I came here so you don't have to, even with the 2 hour free parking, you're better off doing street parking and eating at another ramen restaurant nearby.  The portion size is smaller than other ramen places, so the extra money you would be spending on parking is included in the meal anyways.


If this place gave more (portion wise) at their current price, made the ramen less salty, this would be an ideal place.  But it does not and it isn't.    


Value: 1/5 Overall: 1/5

Hida Takayama Ramen on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

Post a Comment