Sunday 1 January 2012

Latitude

Ambiance: Hipster, Main Street and Commercial Drive Modern


Seating/Wait time: Not a big restaurant, small bar area and seems like a 30 seat restaurant

Dress Code: Casual, but could be Dressy Casual

Crowd: Everybody


Meal: 

Atun Tiradito
ancho seared albacore tuna, vegetable escabeche, mango mojo, tortilla strip$11.00
This is an appetizer course, it's well made and the flavors are there individually.  This dish is made with very fresh ingredients.  However, the sauce and the tuna just did not pair well.  I wish they put the sauce on the side so that you can have the option to have the tuna with or without the sauce.  Preferably, without is better.

Ginger Beer (non-alcoholic)
Grace Bros (Jamaica)
$3.50
This was is what we call "Ginger Ale".  There are places that make this fresh, I was surprised to see that this came from a bottle.  I do appreciate that they gave me the bottle.  This drink tastes like a VERY gingerly tasting soda water.  If you're really interested in trying this, you can find a Jamaican supermarket and try it there first.  For $3.50 this was not mind blowing enough.

Chickpea Fries
with smoked paprika mayo
$7.00
I eyed it as it was placed on the table and when everyone had the chance to eat one, they really looked like they enjoyed it.  After eating one myself.  I now know why.  The chickpea fries on its own was good and with the mayo it was good too.  Either way, I can totally see myself sitting in front of the TV and scarfing these down on a movie night.  It was not too oily and it had a nice crunch as you eat it.  They gave a fair portion for $7.00 worth, I could see more people ordering this if they were more generous on their portions.

Peruvian Causa
chilled aji Amarillo potatoes layered with shrimp salad, spicy tuna, crispy prawns and huancaina
$9.00
This dish is totally NOT WORTH IT!  3 fried shrimp, mashed potatoes, and 1.5 half grape tomatoes.  The shrimp came out looking burned and cooked in days old oil.  For $9.00, this dish is a disappointment.

Arepas
chicken, creamy tomatillo salsa, pickled jalapenos
$5.00
This is another disappointing dish.  For the price of $5.00, I did not expect it to the the size of 2 toonies and a loonie in a cluster together either.  Even though they stuff the insides, and it looks jam packed with goodness, it's really not.  2 Bites and it's gone.  For $5.00, it's nothing more than a loaf of bread with some stuff.  You can buy a bigger and better sandwich elsewhere for $5.00. 



Chicken Leg Confit
creamy humita, sauté of kale and oyster mushrooms
$17.00
Finally, a decent sized meal for an acceptable price.  Seeing the serving size of this dish gave me relief.  Honestly, from the size of all the other things ordered and the fact that it seemed everything else was overpriced.  I was worried they would cheap out on the entree too.  


The meat fell off the bone which was great.  The exterior was not tough or hard which is common when they put this in the oven and over cook it.  The exterior wasn't completely perfect, there were some parts which were tough (8%), which is acceptable to me.  The corn, spinach, and mushrooms were seasoned well and there is a generous portion size.  I recommend this dish over all the other appetizers.  



Personal Remarks:  An invite for a going away party brought me here.  I am so happy I was invited, because if I wasn't, it would have been a while before I would be introduced to this restaurant.  


I came here for dinner and it was pretty dark, but there is enough light to read the menu which is good.   It made taking pictures difficult because I don't prefer using flash as it would bother me if I were sitting at the next table and every 3 seconds or so I'd see a flash of light going off.


This restaurant is very easy to miss with a very subtle store front that blends in with the rest of the block.  The awning or name doesn't tell you that it's a restaurant from the outside, but once the food is served.  You can tell that they do take pride in their food.


I would recommend coming here, but don't bother with the appetizers.  Just come here for the entrees and atmosphere.
Value: 3/5 Overall: 4/5

Latitude on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

Post a Comment