Wednesday 23 November 2011

Araxi

Ambiance: Great in the Summer, Bad in the Rain and Cold

Seating/Wait time: Reservations is strongly recommend.  Make the reservations when you're in Vancouver, you save on long distance and hotel room phone charges.

Dress Code:  Casual is okay

Crowd: Anyone

Meal: 
Valrhona Chocolate Fondant milk chocolate and earl grey ice cream with chocolate dentelle $12.50
Okanagan Poached Pears brandy poached pear,
sour cream ice cream 
vanilla mascarpone cheesecake, almond streusel crust 
$11.50


Personal Remarks:  I came here thinking it's going to be posh, but then I realized, i'm in whistler to snowboard, why would I bring a suit.  When I went in, it was apparent that a lot of other people had the same mindset.  People came here to eat the food, not to look good.  So, don't worry if you left your dining out clothes in Vancouver.  That's okay!


I came here for deserts only because I thought a posh dress code was in effect.  The desert was way too sweet and the SERVICE SUCKED!  When you come here for desert they sit you at the bar area which is in "no mans land" away from the dinner service area.   You feel totally exiled being in this area, the bar tender is constantly looking down wiping the same glass cup deep in his own thoughts or just waiting for closing time.   Periodically, a couple of waitresses would speed walk past me or take the furthest route to go around my table just to avoid me.   


In addition, no one once ever offered to refill my water since and it wasn't until the very end when I asked for the bill that they brought me some water.  The no water thing would not be a big deal, but the deserts were excessively sweet and I really needed something to wash the food down.   Paying so much for these beautifully presented deserts would have been gratifying if the service was also just as rich.  


This restaurant left me feeling like I didn't even want to pay for the food because the experience was so unpleasant.  It was like my wallet weighed a hundred pounds because I know that paying them would give me so much resentment later.  This place is just not worth it.

Value: 1/5 Overall: 2/5

Araxi on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

B.Bousa said...

How was the earl grey ice cream???

Eat for One said...

It wasn't memorable. It actually melted really fast because the lava cake was very warm. Have you ever had vanilla ice cream plus chocolate cake? It's kinda like that. A lot of this fusion ice cream isn't really WOW WOW WOW unless the flavor is really strong. In this case the earl grey flavor wasn't strong and didn't come through enough.

B.Bousa said...

If I saw earl grey ice cream I'd want to order it, but not if the taste is overpowered by something else. I'm a big fan of bergamot and I think that's what draws me to the earl grey too.

Post a Comment